31 Jan 2023
How to deal with keyword cannibalization? | SEO digital agency
Keyword cannibalization is a common SEO problem that occurs when multiple pages on a website target the same or similar keywords. This can negatively impact a website's search engine rankings, as it can be difficult for search engines to determine which page is the most relevant for a given keyword.
For example, if a website has multiple pages that are all optimized for the keyword "red shoes," search engines may have a hard time determining which page should rank for that keyword. As a result, none of the pages may rank as well as they could if they were each optimized for a different keyword.
Keyword cannibalization can also lead to confusion for users and search engines, as they may not be able to tell which page is the most relevant or important for a given keyword, resulting in poor user experience and search engine ranking.
There are several types of keyword cannibalization:
- Exact cannibalization: When you optimize the same keyword on multiple pages.
- Partial match cannibalization: When a site optimizes pages for similar, but not identical, keywords.
- Synonym cannibalization: When multiple pages on a website are optimized for different keywords but with the same meaning.
- Category-based cannibalization: When the URL, title tag, and content of multiple web pages in the same category are all targeting the same keyword.
- Internal and External cannibalization: Multiple pages targeting the same keywords are being cannibalized by external pages like social media, landing pages, etc.
It's important to identify the types of keyword cannibalization that exist on your website and take steps to address them in order to improve your SEO. You can take help from a Digital Marketing Agency. Because by handling keyword cannibalization, you can boost your SEO by making it easier for search engines to understand the relevance of each page on your website.
Tips to boost your SEO by controlling keyword cannibalization:
- Identify and analyze the affected pages: Use tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console to identify pages that are competing for the same keywords. Look at their traffic, bounce rates, and conversion rates to understand their performance.
- Combine or redirect duplicate pages: Combine or redirect duplicate pages that target the same keyword to the original page.
- Use Canonicals to consolidate link equity: If you cannot combine or redirect duplicate pages, use rel=“canonical tags” to consolidate link equity and signal to search engines which page should be considered the original.
- Optimize content for specific keywords: Instead of targeting the same keyword across multiple pages, optimize each page for specific, related keywords. This will help search engines understand the relevance of each page and prevent cannibalization.
- Monitor and adjust as needed: Use tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console to monitor and adjust your website's performance. In addition to improving the search engine rankings of your pages, you can drive more targeted traffic to your website if you handle keyword cannibalization properly.
In order to improve your search engine rankings, you need to manage keyword cannibalization properly. So start your SEO improvements today and if you need help. Kindly reach to us.
We have been working with many clients for their SEO requirements. Cosmocrat Software Solutions is a SEO Digital Agnecy in USA online Market to rank you on google.